Delivering Proven Results for Clients
The following examples illustrate representative matters handled by Carolyn Brakey:
- Represents Cleveland-area ratepayers in a $188 million class action lawsuit against a municipal utility alleging improper billing practices.
- Represented a group of large Ohio industrial, commercial, and institutional ratepayers in a lawsuit against a CRES supplier alleging improper billing practices that resulted in a confidential settlement.
- Represented a large Ohio manufacturer in a lawsuit against an investor-owned utility alleging improper billing practices that resulted in a confidential settlement.
- Represented over 50 patients adversely impacted by the University Hospitals fertility clinic disaster.
- Represented ratepayers in a class action lawsuit in federal court against FirstEnergy Solutions, an Ohio Certified Retail Electric Service (CRES) supplier, alleging improper billing practices that resulted in a $12 million settlement for the class. The settlement is referred to as the Polar Vortex Settlement.
- Represented a large Ohio manufacturer in a dispute against an energy broker for material misrepresentations and an unconscionably high embedded commission.
- Represented an Ohio industrial real estate company in contract negotiations with a consultant for energy procurement and management services.
- Prepared and prosecuted U.S. and foreign patent applications in a broad range of technologies (e.g., mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, medical devices, computer engineering and software, and business methods) for multiple corporations and individual inventors. Regularly conducted Examiner interviews, and drafted appeal and pre-appeal briefs.